Profile : Professor Christian Raftopoulos
Head of the Cliniques universitaires Saint-Luc's Neurosurgery Department
Full professor at Université catholique de Louvain (UCL)
Co-head of the Cliniques universitaires Saint-Luc's Refractory Epilepsy Centre
- Graduated in medicine from the University of Liège (ULg) in 1983
- Trained in neurosurgery at the Free University of Brussels (ULB), graduating in 1989
- Aggregate professor of neurosurgery, 1994
Professor Raftopoulos specialises in surgery for aneurysms, cerebral tumours, epilepsy and in the new mini-invasive techniques for spinal surgery. He was one of the first to operate on the spinal column using 3D Zeego© robotic fluoroscopy.
Societies and scientific publication
Professor Raftopoulos has published more than a hundred articles and studies in various international scientific journals. In 1998, he published a world-first scientific paper on electrode implantation around the optic nerve in a blind patient.
He is or has been president of several scientific societies:
- the French Language Neurosurgery Society;
- the scientific committee of the Fondation JED-Belgique;
- the International Group for the Study of Intervertebral Spine Approaches (GIEDA).
French – English – Dutch